- What services do you offer?
- Vook offers ebook creation, ebook distribution, sales tracking for any of your retailer accounts, print on demand, marketing/PR, cover design, copy editing, and book scanning. Learn more about all services.
- How can I get started?
- If you’re interested in signing up for a Publishing Package or a Sales Tracking Plan – free or paid – the best way to start is by visiting our Pricing page. If you don’t find the right package for you, you can leave us your email and we’ll reach out to find the best solution. Signing up puts you directly in touch with our sales team.
- Do I still retain all rights to my work?
- Yep! It’s all yours. We’re just here to make publishing easy.
- Will I be able to talk to a real person if I want?
- Absolutely. We’re headquartered in NYC and are always a phone call or email away! For a faster response, however, we recommend email.
- What if my company wants to publish several ebooks?
- If your company is interested in an enterprise or publisher arrangement with Vook, please email Natasha at Natasha@vook.com.
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- We accept all major credit cards, PayPal, and checks drawn on U.S. Bank accounts. Contact email@example.com with any payment and accounting questions.
- What do I get when Vook makes my ebook?
- You will get the final, distribution-ready epub and mobi ebook files required to sell on Amazon, iBooks, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Google, and other major retailers.
- What types of files can I submit?
We accept .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf, .indd, .idml, and PDF manuscripts. For images, we accept .jpg or .png files. Video and audio files must conform to these content specifications. If the only source of your manuscript is a print book, we offer book scanning to digitize your work.
Please note that the manuscript you submit to Vook's production team must be the final, proofread version. We cannot accommodate several text changes during the revisions process.
- How can I tell which Publishing Package is best for my ebook?
First, check to make sure your page, image, and audio/video clip counts do not exceed the number included in the package.
Then consider the complexity of your manuscript. If it includes any of the enhanced styling elements listed below, choose between the Advanced or Complex Packages, or sign up for a custom quote. View all Publishing Packages.
- What are the “complex styling elements” not supported under the Basic package?
Complex styling elements include:
- Tip boxes, text call-outs, and sidebars
- Drop caps
- Multiple list styles and tiered lists
- Tables and charts saved as text
- 3 or more heading levels
- Floated images or paragraphs
- Colored text
- Math equations
- What is the difference between reflowable and fixed-layout ebooks?
Reflowable ebooks support a flexible layout that scales to fit different screen and font sizes by changing page breaks and paragraph widths. For example, if a reader increases the font size, the text on one page will flow over to the next page. Because of this, reflowable ebooks do not support columns, full-bleed images, and text placed over images. This is the leading ebook format due to its easy reading experience and cost effectiveness.
Fixed-layout ebooks preserve each page's content to match your original design, supporting columns, full-bleed images, and text placed over images. Fixed-layout ebooks work best for children's books, coffee-table books, comic books, and magazine-style layouts. Fixed-layout ebooks are hand-coded for each device and relatively more expensive. In many cases, it’s worth considering a reflowable version of your fixed-layout book.
Learn more about the difference between reflowable and fixed-layout ebooks.
- What happens after I purchase ebook creation?
- We’ll set you up with a personalized Dashboard that lets you manage your content, track the status of your ebook, and request revisions. Your production coordinator will email you to get started.
- How long does it take to make my ebook?
- You receive preview files for review within 7-10 business days. The turnaround time for your title may vary depending on its length and complexity. We provide a Dashboard that lets you track the progress of your ebook.
- Do I get to see my ebook before it’s completed?
Yes, during the production process you get 2 free previews and 2 optional free rounds of minor revisions. Any additional rounds of revisions will result in an extra fee to be determined by the production coordinator.
If the production team has turned over your ebook files for review but has not heard from you in two weeks, Vook has the option of automatically approving the ebook service.
- Will Vook correct spelling and grammatical mistakes as you make my ebook?
- Our production team cannot correct for spelling, grammar, and punctuation while building your book. The manuscript you submit to Vook's production team must be the final, proofread version or signed up for copy editing.
- What if I want to make changes to my ebook after it has been completed?
- Each additional change after final files are completed and delivered will incur a fee determined by the production coordinator based on the scope of the work.
- When am I invoiced for ebook creation?
- If you purchase one of our Publishing Packages, you are charged at the purchase point. If you are working with a custom project, you are invoiced upon completion of your ebook.
- For custom ebook packages, why do you need to see my manuscript before providing a price?
- We need to look at the manuscript’s length, layout, formatting, and inclusion of any media before providing an accurate price. You will not be charged for this review, you’ll still retain all rights, and we will not share your manuscript with anyone.
- Where can you sell my ebook?
- You can sell your ebook on Amazon, iBooks, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Samsung, Sony, Google Play, and Blio (Baker & Taylor) through Vook. The retailers are determined by your contract with Vook. Learn more about distribution.
- I already have my ebook files. Do you just offer distribution? Yes, we can distribute epub and mobi files not created by Vook. The files must pass the latest version of epubcheck and successfully generate via KindleGen. They also must adhere to all retailer specifications for content (text and multimedia) and internal organization (requirements for Table of Contents, start and end pages, and so on).
- Who sets the retail price of my ebook?
That would be you! You get to decide how much your ebook costs across all retailers.
You may notice that certain retailers – particularly Amazon – discount your ebook. They do this to stay competitive with each other, but because you're distributing through Vook, they will always pay you royalties based on your list price unless stated otherwise.
- Where can I sell video-enhanced ebooks?
- Amazon (via Vook's Publisher account), iBooks, Barnes & Noble, Samsung, Google Play, and Blio (Baker & Taylor) all accept video-enhanced content distributed through Vook.
- Will my ebook be available in other countries?
- Yes. If you indicate that you have international rights to your ebook, we can sell your ebook worldwide. View all territories.
- What is the royalty split when I distribute to the retailers through Vook?
- The retailers' royalty rates can be found on our distribution chart. Vook takes 15% percent of the revenue unless stated otherwise in your Statement of Work.
- How long does it take my ebook to go live in the retailers?
- Each retailer has its own quality assurance process that determines the time it takes to ingest your ebook file. Generally, Amazon takes 2-3 business days; iBooks takes 1-2 business days; Barnes & Noble takes 10-15 business days for standard books and 15-20 business days for enhanced books; Kobo takes 3-5 business days; Sony takes 3-5 business days; Samsung takes 3-5 business days; Google takes 3-5 business days; Blio (Baker & Taylor) takes 5-10 business days.
- How can I send you the price, ISBN, book description, and other details (metadata) about my book?
- We provide a form in your Dashboard with the required information and explanations for each item. Please read the instructions carefully.
- What if I want to edit my metadata, change the price of my ebook, or run a price promotion after my ebook has been distributed?
For permanent metadata or price changes, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the book title and desired change. Please note that metadata and price changes can take up to 3 weeks to go into effect across all retailers.
For temporary price promotions, email email@example.com with your book's title, regular price, promotional price, and promotion dates. The retailers require at least 2 weeks' notice.
- How many metadata changes, price changes, and promotions do I get?
The allotted number of metadata/price changes depends on the package you purchased from Vook. Each additional metadata or price change over the allotted number costs $50 per round.
You can run up to 3 price promotions per year, after which each promotion costs $50.
- When do I get paid my royalties from all retailers?
We’ll send your royalty check 60 days after the end of each financial quarter. Please note that there is a quarterly $5 check processing fee for U.S. accounts ($30 for foreign accounts), applied to each author or publisher. The minimum amount of quarterly sales required is $5 for U.S. accounts and $30 for foreign accounts.
When it comes time to pay your royalties, our Accounting Department will reach out to collect your W9. To contact the Accounting Department, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I cancel distribution through Vook?
- Yes, you can cancel your distribution agreement anytime. Just email email@example.com with your name and book title.
If the files do not validate, Vook can cancel the agreement or provide a quote for fixing the errors.
- What is print on demand?
- Our print on demand (POD) service will produce a bookstore-worthy hardcopy of your book when it’s requested (i.e. when you or a customer orders a copy). With print on demand, your book is not printed until after it’s purchased, which limits any upfront charges to you. Your profit: the price at which the book sells minus the cost of printing.
- What do I need to get started with POD?
- A print-ready PDF. This is what your book will look like, page for page. It must meet our print PDF requirements.
- A print-ready cover. This includes the back cover and spine designs.
- The print ISBN. This is how the printer locates your book in their records when copies are requested.
- A distribution plan. Decide if you'd like to distribute your print book, order a print run for yourself, or both!
- Can you make the print-ready PDF and cover for me?
- Yes, we can make a print-ready PDF from a Word, PDF, InDesign, or epub file. The price is based on the book's length, layout, formatting, and inclusion of media.
We can also create a print-ready cover for you. If you already have a front cover and just need help with the back and spine, print cover design costs $199. If you do not have a front cover designed, print cover design costs $299.
- Where can you sell my print books?
- We offer you global access to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Baker & Taylor, NACSCORP, Espresso Book Machine, and Ingram's network of 30,000+ retailers. If your print book is sold on any of the online retailers, we'll be sure to link it to your ebook.
- Can you provide an ISBN and barcode?
- Absolutely. The ISBN alone can save you up to $125. We'll also make sure they're included on the back cover of your book, whether designed by you or by Vook.
- If I distribute through Vook, do you take a portion of my royalties?
- Nope! Your profit is always the book's wholesale price minus the cost of printing. (Please note that there is an annual $15 fee per book to access these thousands of retailers worldwide.)
- Can I order print runs for myself?
- Yes, from 1 to 10,000 copies or more, we can print your books upon demand and ship directly to you. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to place an order.
- What costs are involved in POD?
- There is a one-time setup fee of $100. This includes a proof copy rush-delivered to you and a print ISBN with barcode (if you do not have one already). If you'd like Vook to distribute your print book, there is an annual $15 access fee. If you order a print run, you pay the cost of printing plus shipping.
- Are you competitive with other print-service providers?
- We are! In addition to the extensive distribution network listed above, Vook offers a wide range of trim sizes, cover types, and color levels. More importantly, our unit cost for printing is a bargain. Finally, you always get Vook's friendly, one-on-one support.
- What security measures do you take to protect my data and credentials?
- We follow industry best practices to protect your data, including encrypting all credentials and sensitive communications using standard AES and SSL encryption.
- How do you protect my privacy?
- What’s do I get when I sign up for sales tracking?
You will get a personalized Dashboard for managing the books in your retailer accounts and a Sales page that includes several metrics and graph views to help you track the following:
- Unit Sales: The number of books sold
- Gross Sales: Your dollar sales before the retailers take their distribution fees and royalty splits
- Net Sales: Your dollar sales after the retailers take their distribution fees and royalty splits (Note: this is before any further revenue split agreements you may have with partners or distributors)
- Select all books or an individual book to report sales
- Select which metric you’d like to view (unit sales, gross sales, or net sales)
- Edit the date range over which your sales data is displayed
- Switch between a bar graph, line graph, or pie chart
- Export your sales report to a .csv file
- Show and hide specific retailers
- What retailer accounts can I add?
- We can track sales in the following accounts:
- Amazon KDP
- Nook Press
- Google Play
- Kobo Writing Life
- How much does sales tracking cost?
- You can track one book for free and access all retailers, all features, and our friendly customer support. If you want to track sales on more than one book, you can upgrade to a Sales Tracking Plan for a monthly subscription fee. If you choose to distribute through Vook, you can track the titles you sell through us for free.
- Do you display historical sales data?
- At the present time, when you sign up, add retailer accounts, and activate sales tracking for your book(s), we only report sales data starting the day you signed up.
- How accurate is my sales data?
- The daily sales data displayed on your Sales page is fairly accurate but unaudited. It may differ from the retailers’ audited sales data, which only gets reported monthly.
- How long after a sale takes place does it appear in my sales data?
For retailer accounts that report sales daily, we collect and display sales data within the hour after it's made available. This data is for the prior day.
For weekly retailer accounts – Amazon KDP, for example – we collect a week's worth of sales data on Sunday for the prior week, which ends on Saturday.
- Does my ebook need a cover?
- Yes, covers are required to sell in all marketplaces. Because of this, we’ll happily provide you with a free templated cover – your book’s title on a colored background.
- Do you offer professional cover design?
- We offer two tiers of cover design: Standard ($199) and Deluxe ($299).
- What file do I receive?
- For ebook covers, you’ll receive a .jpg that meets the retailers’ cover specifications. For print covers, you’ll receive a PDF of the front, spine, and back.
- When am I invoiced for cover design?
- Upon completion and approval of your cover. If you have received a cover preview but do not approve or reject it after two weeks, Vook has the option of automatically approving the project.
- What is copy editing?
- Copy editing ranges in scope. It can correct for spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes; ensure consistency across terminology and names; edit for sense and logic; improve word choice; and even fact check. It’s the last step before turning a manuscript into an ebook and/or print book.
- What copy editing services do you offer?
- We offer two tiers of copy editing: Standard ($6/page) and Stylistic ($11/page). One page is defined as 250 words. Learn more about the difference between Standard and Stylistic copy editing.
- What file do I have to provide the editor?
- An editable MS Word document.
- What file will I receive?
- You will receive an annotated MS Word document with tracked changes and a clean MS Word document.
- When am I invoiced?
- Upon completion of the service. If you have not approved or rejected the edited manuscript within two weeks after receiving your preview, Vook has the option of automatically approving the service.
- How can I turn a print book into an ebook?
- Vook can scan your original book (or an image PDF) and provide you with an editable MS Word document that can be turned into an ebook. Our rigorous quality-assurance process guarantees 99.99% text accuracy between the scan and the source document (i.e. up to 1 error per every 10,000 characters). Unless otherwise noted, scanning is “destructive,” meaning the original book or document will not be returned.
- Do you offer additional quality assurance?
- Yes, we can proofread the final ebook file for errors introduced during the conversion process. This guarantees a 99.995% accurate character match between the original manuscript and the final ebook file. Proofreading costs $1.50/page where one page is 250 words.
- What is the difference between copy editing and proofreading?
- The manuscript (your source document) is copy edited before going into production. Proofreading takes place once we’ve created the ebook; we are comparing the ebook to the source document line-by-line.
- What marketing and PR services do you offer?
- Vook offers a range of marketing services, including email marketing tools, author websites, ebook giveaways, publicity, and more. View all marketing offers and sign up to talk to the Marketing team.
- How can I give away free copies of my ebooks?
There are a few options:
- You can send recipients the actual epub and mobi files that you receive at the end of the production process with instructions for download (such as Vook's instructions).
- We can provide up to 50 free iBooks promo codes. If your ebook is on Vook's store, we can provide up to 50 free promo codes, after which each code costs 10% of the list price each.
- You can order a custom giveaway system for your ebook to seamlessly and professionally delivery free ebooks. Learn more about ebook giveaways.
- Do you offer custom marketing packages?
Yes! We can find a solution to fit your needs. Just contact our sales team at email@example.com.
Hope these FAQs were helpful! If you still have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll gladly help you out!