Questions or comments regarding this policy should be directed to the attention of the General Counsel, Vook, Inc. at the address listed on the “contact us” section of the Vook homepage. In addition, you may send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information Gathered and Tracked by Vook
We gather two types of data about our users: personal information and tracking information.
- PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information is provided by users when registering to purchase a Vook product, for our free newsletters, from our social media presence or through registration pages on sites we control, and voluntarily at certain other points, such as entering contests or completing surveys. At present, we do not collect personally identifiable information from the users of our ebooks distributed through third-party distributors, such as Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon.com. Personal information also includes any information that you provide to enable access to third party eBook distributors as well as any data collected from such third party eBook distributors.
- Interacting with Vook
- By Interacting with Vook, as defined below, we collect certain information from you.
- Interacting with Vook includes, but is not limited to:
- Purchasing products on Vook.com
- Downloading free products, using various Vook services (such as Author Control™) or submitting your information through data collection forms on Vook.com or on third-party websites that we control
- Participating in contests and sweepstakes managed by Vook
- Participating in surveys and polls
- Participating in registration pages through our apps and eBooks
- In order to purchase a product on Vook.com, you will have to supply us with your email address and choose a unique Password. If requested, you will be required to verify your email address by clicking on the activation link in the Welcome Letter that will be sent to you upon your submission of a completed registration form. Further, through the sale process, we may collect credit card or other payment account information which we maintain in encrypted form on secure servers.
- Vook complies with the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003. From time to time Vook may acquire lists of email addresses from nationally-recognized third party data providers. Any user receiving such correspondence from us has the option to immediately opt-out from receiving further communications from Vook, such opt-out will always be included in the footer of the email communication.
- TRACKING INFORMATION
Tracking information is automatically collected about all visitors to our sites. This information consists of both individual and aggregated tracking information and is automatically gathered using “cookies.” A cookie is a small data file containing information, such as a user’s login name, that is written to the user’s hard drive by a web server and used to track the pages visited.
In addition to cookies placed by Vook or its agents, as described above, advertisers and third-party advertising vendors, including Google, that serve ads onto our web sites and in our apps and eBooks, and other third party partners may use their own cookies or other tracking technologies for advertising or other purposes. We cannot be responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any such advertisers and vendors. Additionally, third party advertising vendors, including Google, show our ads on sites on the Internet. These companies utilize certain technologies including cookies to deliver targeted advertisements and marketing messages and to collect information about your visit to our sites and other web sites. If you would like more information about this practice or to opt out of having this information used by companies that are part of the Network Advertising Initiative to provide targeted ads, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp.
- USE AND OWNERSHIP OF THE INFORMATION
- To enhance users’ experiences on our sites and in our apps and ebooks;
- To improve our content;
- To notify visitors about updates to our web sites, apps and ebooks, and new product lines;
- To ensure the technical functioning of our websites and services;
- To provide you via email, telephone, or SMS text message with information and offers for our products and services.
- To contact you via email, telephone, or SMS text message with special offers and advertisements for products or services offered by third parties.
- In any case, you can opt out of receiving emails from us by clicking on the unsubscribe notification in any email you receive from us.
- Information Sharing
Vook does not sell or disclose personal information about you described above with other people or nonaffiliated companies in an identifiable and non-anonymous form, except to provide you with products or services, when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- In response to subpoenas, court orders, or legal process, or otherwise to cooperate with law enforcement agencies or state and federal regulators;
- We provide the information to our subsidiaries and affiliated companies;
- We provide the information on a confidential basis to nonaffiliated companies we engage as contractors or agents to perform services for us, such as maintaining software or administering a sweepstakes or contest. Information will be shared with such contractors only to the extent reasonably necessary for them to perform services on our behalf, and pursuant to confidentiality obligations;
- We may disclose all the information we collect as described above to other companies such as direct marketers to perform marketing services on our behalf, or to third parties with whom we have joint marketing agreements; and
- We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who clicked on a particular link or how many users clicked on a particular advertisement. Such information does not identify you individually.
- Ownership of Data
- Vook is constantly working to improve the marketing and operation of existing products and services as well as offer new products and services to you and our other customers. To that end, you hereby agree and grant Vook a non-exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, sub-licensable and transferable license and right to use any data collected on your behalf from third party eBook distributors for such purposes. Specifically, Vook will periodically aggregate such data into a larger pool of data used by Vook to generate and provide estimates of eBook performance (e.g., downloads, revenues, etc.) across marketplaces, countries, industries and publishers. Any data or information derived from your eBooks will never be made available in an identifiable, non-aggregated form. You specifically consent to such use by using our services. For clarification purposes, any estimates provided by Vook may include estimates of, among other items, your eBooks derived from the pooled information that we have collected. These estimates however are generated using a statistical model based on pooled information and as such are considered to be non-identifiable, aggregated and anonymous information notwithstanding the fact that such estimates may be very similar to actual data derived from third party distributors.
- Vook limits access to personal information about you to those employees whom we determine need access to that information to provide products or services to you. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your personal information. However, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our servers, nor can we guarantee that information that users supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.
- YOUR INDEPENDENT RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER COMPANIES
Questions or comments regarding this policy should be directed to the attention of the General Counsel, Vook, Inc. at the address set forth in the contact section of this website.
Vook reserves the right to modify this policy.